Mission Action Plan
You could think of these as our "Aims & Objectives" or as our Priorites for Mission and Action. This Mission Action Plan is in the process of revision and update.
- things we have done to complete this aim
- things we plan to do to complete this aim [the person / group responsible]
A To support people in growing into more engaged worship of Almighty God.
- To put on a broader range of social activities, to attract a broader range of people; [SOCIAL COMMITTEE]
ask people what events they would like; [NICK]
including something for children and famlies [SOCIAL COMMITTEE].
- Alexander Park Walks & Picnics (2017, 2018); Remembrance in Story and Song (2017); Auction of Promises (2018); Race Night (2018).
- invite people to give ideas in sermon, magazine, pewsheet and suggestion boxs. [NICK]
- To develop a supervised soft play area during church services, catering for the needs of children who can not yet attend Sunday School.
Encourage children to join the choir (KS2 upwards), with 6 months' probation period, initially for All Age and Parade Services, and after peace at Holy Communion when Sunday school are in church.
- find royal blue girdles [NICK]
- investigate six new servers robes [COLIN, JILL]
- arrange purchase [NICK]
- Engaging pre-Sunday School age children
- Make draw string bags for pre-Sunday School children to use in their pews, kept on hooks, given out by Sidespeople and returned to hooks afterwards. [ANDREA, SIDESPEOPLE]
- To restore the organ, and appoint an organist to support the choir's growth.
- £42,000 raised so far in donations and grants; Organ now has Grade II BIOS "listing"; Volunteers found to show instrument to local schools
- Heritage Lottery Fund application [NICK]
- Viridor Application [NICK]
- To provide services and music that match the congregation's diversity (of age, background, etc) with a diversity of styles of music; a diversity of presentation (including the use of screens to enrich worship) and diverse times and types of services;
- new, and different music has gradually appeared in the Morning Prayer sheets
- a new Ordinary Time Holy Communion book has been produced but needs to be revised [NICK]
- To help new, and newer, people into more active roles and ministries in church.
- 2 new sidespeople; 3 coffee people; 2 readers; 1 interceder
- new Eucharistic Assistants [NICK, PCC]
- To run a Stewardship campaign, focusing on Skills as well as Money.
- Invite Diocesan Stewardship Officer to a meeting [JANET]
- To set up a "Welcome" task group [NICK]
- To encourage new members onto the PCC
- elected members must now take a year off after serving for a 3 year term; a Treasurer and Secretary can be co-opted).
- encourage new members, and support them in getting involved
- To trial an evening service, for a year, aiming at children and families, especially those who work on a Sunday morning.
- All Souls: no child / family attendance
- To Work through the "From Evidence to Action Toolkit" to revise the Mission Action Plan, and to encourage Church Growth.
- As a PCC? or a small group? or on a Sunday Morning? [PCC]
B To make greater use of our visible and invisible assets in the service of our neighbour.
- to improve our publicity
- develop a logo that represents the church, requesting input in a competition from magazine, pewsheet, etc. [NICK]
- more and better publicity.
- use Give As You Live more effectively; more prominent links [NICK].
- use the list of those who have given consent to contact them.
- to improve the church grounds
- fence in the paved area to create a space that can be used by church and community groups; and to reduce anti-social behaviour in the church grounds. [NICK]
- enhance our offering of the front of the church as a community garden by (a) installing a new bin; (b) sorting the ground at the bottom of fire-escape steps; (c) tidying the steps down to Broadway Street. [NICK]
- invest in the Community Room and activities that take place there for (a) community engagement and service; (b) viability.
- new community room doors [NICK]
- consultation to establish parameters for the way forward, engage an architect for ideas [NICK]. Millstone or Springboard?
- Find a new regular volunteer for Pop In.
- encourage the development of the shop: more volunteers so we can increase opening times; better publicity.
- Advert on pewsheet: no response
- publicity requires a church logo
- Think through the Notice boards in the Community Room.
- Organise an auction of promises
C To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew the life of the earth
- Work towards the Eco Church Awards (with actions)
- Worship & Teaching - SILVER (1) Commitment to seek EcoChurch Awards
- Buildings - BRONZE (1) LED & Low energy lighting throughout Worship Area; (2) Double Glazing in Vestry and Main Church not applicable due to best practices for stained glass.
- Land - BRONZE
- Community & Global
D To develop effective working relationships with partners in Mission and Ministry:
- MISSION PARTNERSHIP (St. Thomas, Werneth); and
MISSION UNIT (Holy Trinity, Coldhurst; St. Stephen and All Martyrs, Oldham; St. Mary with St. Peter, Oldham).
- St. Martin's School and other local schools;
- groups and individuals in the local community whatever their culture, religion, or age.
- that a church should be a place where the generous, forgiving love of God in Christ is made real in practical ways.
- that a church should be a community that welcomes all people whatever their age, situation, or background.
- that a church should dedicate itself to the worship of Almighty God, using all the richness and variety of resources that God has given us.
- that we are not there yet - but by the grace of God, this is what we hope to become.
- that a church should work, alone and with others, for good in its community, and in the world: for justice, for a better quality of life, for stronger communities.
- that a church is not just a virtual community, but a real, physical community. We hope that this website will enrich our life as a church, and offer you ways to take part in it - or just provide you with resources to help you deepen your faith.